Smart apartments are becoming more and more popular, as people want to be able to control their environment with the touch of a button. If you’re considering making your apartment a smart home, there are a few things you need to know in order to get started. In this blog post, we’ll provide an overview of what is involved in making your apartment smart and some tips on how to get started. Keep reading for all the details!
Though you don’t own your own home, you can still think about how to turn it into a smart place. In fact, a rental apartment can also be smartened. All one needs to do is a little judicious planning and research before making any changes and going about home automation.
Eyeing the list of possibilities when you have an empty house at hand- “Now, I have a huge responsibility on my shoulder in the form of an empty house! What should I do? ” And if this thought comes to your mind, then this article is for you. We bring here some ideas that may inspire you to convert this empty house into a stunning living space by bringing in some smart elements.
- 1. The simplest example of a smart home is light-controlled automation. All you need to do is get the right type of bulbs and install them in such a way that they can automatically switch on and off according to your schedule or when sensed by some device like a motion sensor etc.
- 2. For some more interesting experiences, you may go for installing sensors which can turn any lamp/fixture on and off when someone enters and leaves a room respectively. This will highlight the presence of people in the rooms and also save electricity by switching on lights only when needed.
- 3. You may place your speakers in such a way that voice commands can be used to operate them, helping you play songs saved in them very easily without getting up from the sofa.
- 4. You may connect your home to popular social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc so that you can post pictures of your dinner party or some other event happening at home and share them on these platforms so that all your friends can see what you are up to.
- 5. Using smart gadgets like locking systems, smoke detectors, safety alarms, motion sensors, etc will help you monitor locking on/off of doors and windows even when you are away from home, keep track of smoke/fire levels in case there is any emergency plus give an early warning about any break-in through the motion detector alarm system installed for this purpose. So this turns out to be a better way than having a traditional security system with guards 24X7.
- 6. Having control over the temperature of the home will help you save electricity by switching on fans or ACs only when needed. You can even turn them off at night so as to remain cool while sleeping similar to what we do for daily office work. This may be achieved by making use of smart thermostats installed in your home which sense and regulate the temperature according to the schedule/requirement.
- 7. Going one step further, you can also connect all your gadgets like refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, etc at home with other devices through some communication protocol which then turns out to become a perfect example of a smart kitchen where things get done automatically without requiring any manual labor and monitoring.
- 8. If you own an Android/iPhone device, then you can also control the above-mentioned smart gadgets at home through some apps installed on your phone which will turn out to be more useful when you are away from home for some work.
Finally, it is advisable that instead of making everything in your house automated, you focus more on a few important things like locks and windows (if any), fans/ACs (in case of summers), kitchen appliances, etc first so as to get started with this without spending too much time on learning new things. This way, you may turn it into a smarter living place bit by bit over some period of time depending upon your budget and requirement.
Smart apartments are the future. If you’re not sure where to start, these tips will get your apartment on its way to becoming a smart home. Even if you don’t have all the technology mentioned in this post, every step counts and will make your apartment smarter over time. So what are you waiting for? Start making your apartment a smart home today!